Description of Diabetes type 2 risk test:
This simple and reliable home test determining Diabetes type 2 is based on latest scientific knowledge. The test gives you information about your genetic risk of Diabetes type 2. If you have a risk variant you can adjust your life habits e.g. diet, exercise and reduce the risk of developing type 2 Diabetes. Easy and painless mouth swab to take the genetic sample.
Diabetes mellitus type 2 is a chronic disease marked by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. Our body uses a hormone called insulin to handle glucose, which is a simple sugar that’s a main source of energy. To maintain a constant blood glucose level, the body relies on two hormones produced in the pancreas that have opposite actions, insulin and glucagon. In diabetes mellitus type 2, something goes wrong in the body so that you can not produce insulin or are not sensitive to it. That means that your body produces high levels of blood glucose, which acts on organs to produce the symptoms of the diabetes mellitus type 2. Diabetes mellitus type 2 ranks seventh as a cause of death in the United States, and costs the national economy over $100 billion yearly.
Risk factors may include:
- Age greater than 45 years.
- Race/ethnicity (African Americans, Hispanic Americans, and Native Americans all have high rates of diabetes).
- High blood pressure.
- HDL cholesterol of less than 35 mg/dL or triglyceride level of greater than 250 mg/dL.
- History of gestational diabetes.
- Previously identified impaired glucose tolerance by your doctor.
Guidance and instructions on how to proceed after receiving the result:
- Easy to use, non-invasive buccal test sample collection swabs.
- Safe and secure transport pouch to protect and provide a stable environment for the genetic sample during transport.
- Clear and easy to follow instructions on how to take the sample.